Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Superbowl Bites: BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza



Who doesn't love pizza?

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't.  Do you?

I think that makes it the perfect party food.  

It's also ridiculously simple to make. Giving it more points as the perfect party food.



I think it was California Pizza Kitchen that popularized the BBQ Chicken Pizza back in the 90s.  It's a damn good pizza, whether you get it in store or frozen at the grocery store, it's consistent.  I decided to do a take on it, using my Beer Braised Pulled Pork.  I had a ton of it and in thinking about Superbowl party recipes, I knew I had to do a pizza.  

This pizza was good, the smokiness you get from the two smoked cheeses paired with the sweet tang of the Bull's Eye Guinness BBQ sauce and then the meaty goodness that is pulled pork all made for an uber satisfying pie, that even though I've had it twice in the past week, I'll be making it this Sunday as I cheer on my Patriots.


print recipe

BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza
The perfect use for leftover pulled pork. This pizza is savoury with a bit of sweetness and all good.
Ingredients
  • 1 lb ball pizza dough
  • 2 cups BBQ Sauce - I used Bull's Eye Guinness BBQ
  • 1 cup shredded smoked gouda
  • 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1 1/2 cups Beer Braised Pulled Pork
  • 1/2 red onion - thinly sliced
  • 3 green onions - sliced on an angle
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • seal salt & black pepper
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 450F. Roll out your crust. You'll divide the dough ball into 2 if using a peel and a stone, as two small pies are much easier to maneuver. If you want one big pie, roll it out to fit in a large oiled cookie sheet. The rest of the instructions will be for a large pie, since this is a party recipe.2. Spread a thin, even layer of BBQ sauce over the entire crust, leaving 1/2" around the edge. Sprinkle with cheese, you can use more or less depending on your preference. Top with sliced red onion and pulled pork. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.3. Place the prepared pizza into the heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted, bubbly and brown and the crust is golden. 4. Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, cut and serve.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 large rectangle or 2 small round

No comments: