Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake


Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my favorite pie flavors. I've always loved it and yet when rhubarb season came around this year I decided I wanted to try something different. I decided on an upside down cake, because I think they are perfect for warmer weather because they aren't very time intensive and you get a deliciously perfect cake all in one step and one pan. Also I think I ever saw a strawberry rhubarb upside-down cake, making it just a bit different. This cake utilized the fruit I got from Mama Earth, my organic veggie delivery which I think made the flavors all the better!

Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Makes 1 8" cake

1 1/2 cups of rhubarb - cut into 1/4" pieces
1/2 cup of strawberries - sliced
2 Tbsp demera sugar
7 Tbsp unsalted butter - separated and at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup buttermilk - at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Wash a cut rhubarb and strawberries, keep them in separate bowls. Using 1 Tbsp of butter butter an 8" nonstick round cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom with demera sugar. Place strawberry slices in a nice pattern on the sugar leaving room between each slice for the rhubarb to show. Evenly spread the rhubarb on top of the strawberries, making sure to fill and holes. It's ok if the rhubarb is on top of some strawberries. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together remaining 6 Tbsps of butter and granulated sugar. Once combined and fluffy mix in egg. In a medium bowl mix together dry ingredients and in a small bowl mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. Add dry and wet ingredients into butter mixture in three additions, starting and ending with the dry. Mix batter until just combined
3. Pour batter into cake pan, carefully spreading evenly. Place into heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completey before flipping out of the pan onto a plate.

I am so very happy with how this cake turned out. The cake itself was moist, with a nice crumb and the sweet tart fruit topping went perfectly. I brought my first attempt at this cake to the office, because I thought it was shy on fruit and even though some people confirmed that they all said the flavors were great, the recipe here is adjusted for more fruit. I really enjoyed this cake and look forward to trying it with many different fruits this summer.

Stay tuned tomorrow for my guest post on Domestic Divas, it's a delicious and easy summer dessert. Enjoy!

9 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

What a great idea! Looks amazing - thanks for sharing! Juanita

Jen H said...

Thanks Juanita!

Jennifer said...

Strawberry & rhubarb is my favorite summer fruit combo!!! Great cake!!

The Food Librarian said...

This looks great. I love upside down cakes!

Paula - bell'alimento said...

I've been wanting to try Rhubarb! Looks like a deliciously moist cake! & I like easy peasy :)

The Messy Baker said...

I love the strawberry-rhubarb combination but prefer cake over pie any day. This looks like a perfect solution!

Diana said...

That looks really good! I've decided I'm going to go with strawberry and rhubarb for making jam. It's so good!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, that sounds wonderful! (I love anything rhubarb.) How nice that you got some organic rhubarb to play with :)

lauren said...

I can't wait to try this one. I love rhubarb so much! A rhubarb and raspberry combo is also great.