Saturday, January 7, 2012

My favorite Recipes of 2011



Now for some of my favorite recipes from 2011.  These were tough to pick, basically because I don't share anything here that I don't really like.  But as I wrote yesterday's post, I began to realize that my favorite weren't necessarily in line with the posts that got the most traffic.

I started this post wanting it to be a Top 5, like yesterday, but it turned into a Top 6 because I had a tie for my last pick, you'll see why I couldn't pick between them when you get there.

So without further ado, my  all-time (for 2011) favorite recipes!



1.  Black & Blue Berry Jam - It's no secret that I'm a pretty obsessive preserver.  This jam is by far my favorite from last summer.   I inhaled one jar all on my own and am hoarding the other jars in the basement. It's fresh and delicious with just the right amount of lemon.  It was entirely inspired by the beautiful fruit at the farmers market and I don't know what else to say except you have to try making it this summer.  I promise you won't regret it.

2. Grandma's Rouladen Remix - This was a new take on an old recipe of my grandmother's that I shared a couple years ago.  I knew I had to make it again with my own spin and couldn't have been happier with the result.  It's the perfect Sunday night dinner and one I look forward to making this winter, if it ever gets cold enough!


3. Burgers & Buns on the Grill - The bun recipe in this post is courtesy of Zoe Francois, but this was probably my favorite burger of the summer which is why it made this list.  The freshly baked buns, that I was able to make without turning on the oven on a hot summer day, paired with fresh tomatoes and juicy burger was the ideal summer meal and one I still think about sometimes.

4. Pickled Red Onions & Fish Tacos - Let me be clear on one thing, the onions are great, but the real winner here are the fish tacos, which I posted on NoREEATS.  Not only is this recipe a winner, but it was the very first time that someone asked me to come up with a recipe for them.  On my Facebook page, I asked for any requests and a former roommate was quick to respond with a request for fish tacos similar to what she ate in when she was in Mexico.  I've never been to Mexico, but I've had some amazing fish tacos, so I did some research and combined with what I like put this together.  Yum!

5. Watermelon Rosemary Lemonade AND Ramp & Arugula Pesto - And here we are at the tie.  Both of these recipes are tasty, it goes without saying, but that's not the sole reason they made this list. They are also two recipes that were chosen to be published in two different cookbooks.  The lemonade, a boozy version with gin, was voted on to be published in the second Food52 cookbook.  This is awesome because it was voted on by Food52 readers, which I consider to be my peers.  The pesto will be published in "Ramps: Cooking with the Spring Tonic of the Woods," I'm not sure how widely it will be released, but I'm pumped that an ingredient I'm passionate about and love foraging for in the Spring is getting a cookbook and that I was asked to be a part of it.

And that's that.  Now I need to get cooking to share some even tastier treats for 2012.  Luckily I'll be in our brand new house with my new-to-me kitchen and I'm looking forward to getting tons of inspiration in my new space.

No comments: