Friday, February 18, 2011

Pickled Red Onions



I first had pickled onions when I lived in LA.  They are often served with carnitas tacos and after first having them I became mildly obsessed with their tanginess.  If a dish on a menu called for the onions it was pretty much a guarantee I'd order them.  Since I moved up to Toronto they don't appear on menus quite as much, so I learned to make them.  I first made them a couple years a go when I threw a Mexican Fiesta Birthday for a good friend.  I made them again last year for my own Mexican Fiesta Birthday.  I haven't made tacos at home in awhile and while I was prepping all of the other ingredients I decided to throw these together.  They are so easy to make and if you have canning jars kicking around they look great and will keep really well.


Pickled Red Onions
based off of a recipe from Chow
makes 1 liter

1 1-liter jar
2 red onions
1 jalapeno
6 oranges
6 limes
a healthy pinch sugar
even healthier pinch salt
water to top off

1.  Peel & halve the onions, then thinly slice them.  Wash, halve, seed and devein the jalapeno and thinly slice it.  Pack the onions and jalapeno into the liter jar.
2.  Zest the oranges & limes and place in a bowl or large measuring cup.  Halve and juice the oranges and limes into the bowl or measuring cup.  Add a healthy pinch or two of sugar and a bit more salt.  Mix together and pour into the jar.
3. Top off with water, so that the liquid comes to the top of the onions. Place the lid on the jar and give it a good shake.  Refrigerate and let marinate for at least 3 hours.  Should keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.


These are great on fish tacos, specifically these which I posted over at No ReEATS.  I have also served them on top of some salad greens, with cotija cheese and used a bit of the pickling liquid as dressing.  They are also great on tacos or in slaw, for some other ideas and another recipe for pickled onions check out The Yum Yum Factor.

Enjoy!

No comments: