Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crab Cakes - It's what's for lunch



Happy New Year!

It's been awhile, huh?  Almost 5 months to be exactly.  I kept up cooking a posting a bit longer over at No ReEATS, but not much I'm sad to say.

Working for three people on a movie completely consumed the bulk of my time this past fall.  The craziness of the job, a few quick weekend visits back to Boston, and buying our first house kinda put a damper on my desire to cook and even made me too tired to seek out new restaurants.

Sad, right?


Well after a relaxing trip back to Boston over the holidays and some phenomenal meals courtesy of my parents, dinners out and even a meal cooked by yours truly, the first in quite sometime, my love of food is renewed.  So as a result I've decided to make a commitment to myself and my readers in 2012.

What is that commitment you ask?

Here goes, in writing, with the hopes it will keep me honest.  I am committing to posting everyday for the rest of 2012.  Yep that's right 361 days.  My hands are shaking a bit as I type it, but I'm confident I can do it and that I'll be a better blogger, writer, photographer and foodie for doing it.  Now each post won't specifically contain a recipe, but each post will be food related.  Whether it's sharing an article I read and found to be compelling or an amazing meal  or a great market.  There will be delicious little tidbits each and every day.

So what do I have for you today?

The delicious crab cakes and remoulade pictured above are what I had for lunch today. I can't take the credit for the cakes, as I bought them from my favorite fish shop here in Toronto, Hooked.  They are Toronto's first and only completely sustainable fish monger.  Not only is their fish amazing, but they have a kitchen where they concoct things like fish cakes, chowder, lobster rolls and these beauties. If you are in Toronto I have to insist you stop in and check it out.

What goes better with a crab cake than remoulade, at least in my opinion.  So I did a quick search for an easy remoulade that I could easily pull of with pantry ingredients.  Elise from Simply Recipes provided just that with this super simple remoulade recipe.

Paired with a salad made with mache mix, a delicious hard goat cheese and dried cranberries, I just had a delicious and satisfying lunch.  A lunch that made me so happy to have this break from my day job so I could make and enjoy it and share it with you.

What did you have for lunch today?  What resolutions or commitments have you made for 2012?

No comments: