Friday, June 20, 2008

Poppers on the Grill


With the NBA finals going on over the last few weeks and being a hardcore Boston fan, there has been alot of game watching at my place. The food that goes along with sports is as much of the experience for me as the actual game. This past Sunday during Game 5 in LA I decided to make some game day vittles for my brother and I to enjoy. Aside from some BBQ chicken with Stubbs Honey Bourbon sauce (I highly recommend Stubbs!), and chips with salsa & guac, I decided to test out a recipe my boyfriend uses for Jalapeno Poppers on the grill. Of course this recipe includes bacon, as he's Canadian and I think most things he likes include some form of bacon!

RECIPE

This recipe makes 12 tasty poppers

6 fresh jalapenos
1 8 oz tub of cream cheese (I used Lite)
12 strips of bacon
toothpicks

1.Wash and dry the peppers. Then half the jalapenos and remove all of the seeds and veins. Be careful with touching your eyes or anything sensitive for a day or two after. The pepper juice stays with you for a bit, even if you wash your hand multiple times! (I learned this the hard way)
2. Fill each half pepper with cream cheese
3. Cut the bacon strips in half, so they are easier to wrap around each pepper.
4. Wrap each pepper with the bacon, they usually take a full strip, then secure the bacon with a toothpick
5. Turn the grill on low heat. Place the pepper, cream cheese side up on the grill. Cook for 30-40 mins until the bacon crisps up.

These are a little time consuming for a quick treat, especially when you see how quickly they disappear. But they are very tasty and well worth it. I may consider trying them with a mix of cream cheese and cheddar cheese next time, just to add a little something extra.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: