Monday, June 23, 2008

Peach Raspberry Crisp


As I'm new to the food blog thing. I am not yet in the habit of taking pictures of the things I make. I remembered with the desert I made this weekend, of course after half of it was eaten. That's why you are only getting a picture of the corner!

Anyway, I wanted to make something that took advantage of the delicious fruits that are currently in season, specifically my two favorites: peaches and raspberries. I looked for crisp and crumble recipes online that were specific to peaches and raspberries, but they all used oatmeal. While oatmeal is quite tasty and I have had many a wonderful dessert using it, my brother and I had a conversation earlier in the week about how we prefer the way our dad makes apple crisp, using a Fannie Farmer recipe that uses no oatmeal. So rather than reinvent the wheel I decided to make an old favorite and share it with everyone because we always get so many complements on it.

Here is the Apple Crisp recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook. My changes are in red:

5 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples - I used approx 4 cups of peeled sliced peached & 1 cup of fresh raspberries, this filled a 9x9 baking dish nicely
1/2 cup water - As the peaches and raspberries are quite juicy I omitted the water
3/4 cup flour - I used 1 1/8 cups of flour (multiplied the recipe by 1.5)
1 cup sugar - I used 1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon - I used 3/4 tsp
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut in small pieces - I used 3/4 cup of butter, make sure the butter stays cold until using it

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish (I used a 9x9 square pyrex baking dish), and spread the apples (peaches and raspberries) in it.
3. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup water. (again with such juicy fruit the additional water isn't neccessary)
4. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
5. Add butter. With your fingers, rub butter into other ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
6. Spread mixture evenly over apples (the fruit).
7. Bake 30 minutes or until the crust is browned.


According to my dad, the key to getting the crust super brown, yummy and crispy is to place the oven rack one higher than you would normally bake, approximately third up from the bottom of the oven. This alows the bottom heat used to bake to reflect off the top of the oven and onto the crisp mixture allowing it to crisp up and brown nicely. This was the first time I tried baking it this way and it turned out perfectly, as you can see in the photo.
Of course this recipe is also excellent with apples, and a favorite in my family.

Enjoy!

No comments: