Monday, January 9, 2012

What I'm eating for Breakfast



Do you ever make something on the fly for yourself and like it so much you eat it almost every day?

I'm kinda funny that way, because I generally can't eat the same thing everyday.  Back when I had a proper office job, I had a good friend who would cook on Sunday and eat the same thing for lunch almost everyday that week.  I always marveled at that.   I think it's because I couldn't commit to eat the same thing everyday.  The funny thing is that I've been doing it for the past week.



Sometime in the last year I discovered the joy of breakfast tacos.  My understanding from watching Man vs Food and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is that breakfast tacos can and often heaped with all kinds of  delicious toppings.  While delicious, that's so not what these are. These are super simple and so yummy that I have eaten then for breakfast for the last 5 days. The only reason I won't eat them tomorrow is because I ran out of corn tortillas and with the impending move I am trying not to grocery shop.

These literally take no more than 6 minutes to make and you will only dirty 1 plate, 1 knife, 1 spatula and 1 fry pan.  Meaning a relatively easy clean-up especially when you account for the supreme deliciousness.  Once we're settled in the new place, I will absolutely play around with different combinations, but for my easy go to, these a perfection.

What have you been eating for breakfast lately?



print recipe

Easy Breakfast Tacos
Ingredients
  • 3 soft corn tortillas
  • 3 slices from a block of cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 eggs
  • sriracha sauce
  • salt & pepper
Instructions
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the corn tortillas and cook on each side until soft, about 30 seconds. Remove the tortillas to your plate and keep the skillet on the heat.2. Lay 1 piece of cheese down the center of each tortilla. Add the butter to the skillet. When it's melted crack the eggs directly into the pan. 3. Break the egg yolks with your spatula and gently scramble them in the pan. Constantly turning until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste4. Evenly divide the eggs between your three tortillas, on top of the cheese. Top each taco with sriracha sauce and enjoy.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 3 tacos

No comments: