Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Greek Frittata



I wouldn't call this a classic Greek Frittata, like to one Jen over at Domestic Divas has shared or my partner in crime at NoReEATS, Carole, made.  Something chock full of tomatoes, onions feta and some sort of greens.  Basically a Greek salad in a frittata. Sounds delicious, right?  I'm sure both versions are and I plan to try them at some point soon, either for dinner or brunch. But my take is inspired by a different Greek dish, one of my faves, Moussaka.  While I was cooking up the filling from my Stuffed Baby Eggplants I knew I had too much veal, so I chopped up some extra potatoes and if I had extra eggplant I would have added that too and cooked it all up, cooked up the extra beef and tossed it all together and saved the filling I had leftover for this yummy frittata.


Greek Frittata
serves 2 -3
printable recipe

3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley - chopped

1 Tbsp butter
approx 1/2 cup of leftover Baby Eggplant filling
1/4 cup crumbled Greek feta
sea salt & black pepper


1.  Preheat the oven to 350F. Whisk together the eggs, milk, parsley, salt & pepper.  Heat an 8" non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Once the pan is heated so that water beads when dropped in the pan. Lower the heat to medium low and coat the with butter, all along the bottom and sides of the pan.
2. Add the egg mixture to the heated pan. As is cooks periodically pull the cooked sides away from the pan to let some of the uncooked egg mixture redistribute and flow to the sides of the pan.
3. After a few minutes, once bottom of the eggs have set, evenly spread the the meat mixture in a single layer.  Let it cook for a few more minutes, until the egg mixture is cooked 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle the feta crumbles on top and place in the oven.
4. Let cook for 10 mins or until the eggs are cooked all the way through and maybe even start to brown a bit. Remove pan from oven and carefully transfer the frittata to a cutting board. Cover with a foil tent and let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Once the frittata has rested, cut into halves or thirds and serve with a Greek salad.



I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I love frittatas for leftovers.  I'm so happy I made sure to have extra filing for this one. It a really easy way to get those flavors that were so good from one dish or meal into another.  They are so easy too and come together in under 30 minutes and much like a pizza can be made with whatever you have on hand.  


Do you have a favorite filling for frittata or omelet that make sure to make extra of or keep on had for an easy brekkie?


Enjoy!

No comments: