Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Superbowl Eats: Buffalo Chicken Nachos



Anytime we go to the bar to watch a game the Boy always orders wings and I always order nachos.  And while I'd love to share both plates of food, more often than not he's not too thrilled with my nachos, complaining that each chip doesn't have cheesy goodness and that many are soggy.  While I love nachos, I do agree with his assessment of most bar nachos.  I also love wings almost as much as the Boy and luckily he lets me steal one or two or ten from his plate, but I do feel guilty at his lack of enthusiasm for my food.  I think sharing is always more fun when each person wants bites of everything.

So with the Superbowl quickly approaching, and in an effort to make a plate of nachos that the Boy would not only eat a few from but LOVE,  I decided to combine the two.


I find the key to good nachos is making sure each chip has a little bit of each flavor on it. To achieve that I like to spread a single layer on a baking sheet and carefully cover each chip with a little bit of whatever I'm putting on my nachos.  The single layer helps keep the chips crisp too.  I put together the following recipe to satisfy my combine wings & nachos craving and the Boy's wing craving and just in time for the big game!


Buffalo Chicken Nachos
fills 1 11"x17" cookie sheet

1 boneless skinless chicken breast - cooked
2 Tbsps your favorite Buffalo sauce - I like Archie Moore's
1/3 to 1/2 bag of Tostitos multigrain Rounds
1/2 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese - placed in the freezer for 30 mins and grated
1 stalk celery - finely chopped

1.  Preheat the broiler, place the rack in the middle of the oven.  Line an 11"x17" baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2.  Cut the cooked cooked chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, small enough to fit on to each chip (I cut them pretty small to combat everything falling off the chips).   Toss with Buffalo sauce and set aside.
3.  Place the chips in a single layer on the foil-lined sheet, they can slightly overlap, but you want to be able to put toppings on each chip.  Sprinkle shredded cheddar over the chips.  Top with Buffalo Chicken, making sure to get one piece on each chip.  Top with grated blue cheese.  For an extra kick, sprinkle with a bit more Buffalo Sauce.
4.  Place cookie sheet under the broiler for 5-10 minutes, monitor it as each broilers heat is different, you don't want burned chips.  Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.  Garnish with chopped celery and serve.

I love these nachos. Since I made them while the boy was at work today, I'm not entirely sure that he'll get a chance to weigh in, since they are so tasty the whole tray could be my afternoon snack. Albeit a not very healthy snack, but a deliciously spicy one nonetheless.  These are great game time food and a nice change from traditional wings and nachos.  The spicy chicken, with the tangy blue cheese and the cool crisp celery all on a crispy chip make for a party in your mouth that is perfect paired with an ice cold beer and some football.

The beauty of this recipe, in our house, is that when we stay in for a game I can easily make wings and nachos all in one dish.  That is, of course, if the boy likes them.  We may have to wait until Sunday now to see.

Enjoy!

No comments: