Monday, October 11, 2010

Meatless Monday & Unprocessed: Potato and Leek Pizza


Well I'm into week 2 of my Unprocessed month and I did have one major cheat.  After a day of painting and movers finally bringing the last of my furniture from LA I broke and the boy and I tried a fish & chip shop around the corner from our house.  Now I felt bad enough about eating the fried food, but what was even worse is that the meal wasn't even that good.  The fish was far too greasy and the chips were mediocre.  The fact that my cheat was so unsatisfying has made it easier for me to stick to my unprocessed eating and even further proof why I am partaking in the challenge.  it's one thing to eat bad for you food if it's tasty and satisfying, no matter how guilty.  It's and entirely other thing when you feel bad after eating it.

This week's Meatless Monday recipe is actually a great healthier version of one of my favorite guilty pleasures, pizza!  For me it's a healthier options because it's not loaded with cheese and though I firmly believe in cheese on pizza, this one just doesn't need it.  It's packed with flavor from the slow cooked leeks, the infused oil and the bouquet garni I use when cooking the potatoes, not to mention the hearty whole wheat crust. 




Potato Leek Pizza

1 leek thinly sliced - white & light green parts, reserve dark green leaves
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 medium white potatoes - thinly sliced
3 sprigs rosemary
1 clove garlic - whole
5 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs flat leaf parsley
whole wheat pizza dough - I used Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day 100% whole wheat with olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
salt pepper

1.  Make sure the sliced leeks a clean of any dirt, by submerging in ice cold water and then draining.  Heat butter and  1 Tbsp extra virgin oil in a saute pan over medium low heat.  Add sliced leeks to the heated pan.  Cook slowly over medium low heat for approximately 7-8 minutes until the leeks have become soft and slightly caramelized.  Remove from heat and reserve.
2.  Make a bouquet garni with the 2 sprigs of rosemary, the thyme and parsley.  Wrap 2- 3 dark green leek leaves around the herbs and tie with kitchen twine.  Place the sliced potatoes and bouquet garni into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.  Bring water to a boil and then simmer for no more than 5 minutes to make the potatoes tender but still firm.   How long they cook will depend on how thinly they are sliced. Carefully drain the potatoes and set aside to cool.
3.  In a small saucepan place 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 rosemary sprig and the clove of garlic.  Place the saucepan over medium low heat and heat the oil to infuse with the rosemary and garlic, but not burn.
4.  Roll out pizza dough to an 11 inch round, so it is nice and thin.  I do this directly on my pizza peel and cook on a pizza stone.  It can also be done on a sheet pan or pizza pan.  Brush the crust with the rosemary & garlic infused oil.  Spread the cook leeks in a thin layer over the crust.  Layer the potatoes.  Tops with cheese, a fresh grinding of pepper, salt and a light drizzle of the garlic/rosemary oil.
5.  Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the crust is nicely browned.  Remove from oven to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Even though it's not the same as the potato pizza I ate when I studied in Florence years ago, the crisp crust and flavors brought me back there.  The key to great pizza is getting the crust thin enough that it really crisps up on the pizza stone.  The potatoes were finished perfectly in the oven and really melded nicely with the leeks.   It turned out better than I could have hoped and will definitely be on our dinner rotation moving forward.  I loved everything about this pizza, paired with some mixed greens with walnuts, blue cheese and a simple vinaigrette, I was in heaven. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I've been seeing a couple recipes for potato leek pizza but I've never tried it. This recipe is inspiring me to finally try it. Thanks for sharing.

londonfilmgeek said...

I accidentally had one of these - or a variant at Cajun Pete's - and was pleasantly surprised at how little I missed the cheese too. Though the spicy sausage helped.

Will definitely be bookmarking this.

x