Tomorrow is is the 4th of July and even though I'm in Canada it work out that we will celebrating Canada Day on the 4th! Besides that, the big July holiday will always be July 4th for me. Regardless of what you celebrate and where you are the summer is chock full of BBQs and pot lucks and get togethers. To help inspire some tasty treats for your holiday weekend BBQ's I decided do a round up of some of my favorite dishes that are perfect for BBQ's and the summer.
1. To start off, you can't go wrong with Grilled Wings with a Chipotle Dry Rub. They are cooked on the grill you don't have to spend the BBQ standing over a vat of frying oil or heating up the house with the oven. besides that they pack a HUGE flavor and spice punch and are a definite favorite with us.
2. What is a BBQ without a burger? Why not try a Beef Bourguignon burger and really impress your guests. Packed full of flavor and oh so easy and satisfying. Of course if you want to be picky, this French flavored burger may be better suited to a Bastille Day celebration, either way it's sure to impress.
3. What something different than a classic burger? How about a delicious and flavorful and definitely not status quo braised and then grilled Pork Belly. Now this one taste some time and planning but is definitely worth it.
4. Don't have time to slave away cooking, then try my Maple Whiskey Pulled Chicken. Of course using pure Canadian Maple Syrup if you are celebrating Canada Day. It's so easy and perfect to pile high on a bun with some cole slaw.
5. If you are looking to impress, go for the Gaucho Style Steak with Chimichurri Sauce. This Argentinean flavored sauce makes your average NY Strip something special.
6. For a delicious and refreshing side dish check out this delicious Watermelon and Feta Salad. the saltiness of the feta cheese perfectly balances out the sweet and refreshing watermelon. Making it the ideal salad for a hot summer day.
7. If you are doing a clam bake or crawfish boil or anything having to do with surf and turf, don't forget to make Salt Potatoes. The perfect dish for the peak of season new potatoes.
8. It's always nice to work some greens in to your BBQ feast, my Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette are the perfect option as they are best served at room temperature and complement just about any protein.
9. No BBQ is complete without dessert and these Cinnamon Brown Sugar Cupcakes are perfect topped with Blueberry Cream cheese frosting or you can make a Raspberry version to incorporate the red and blue.
10. Finally my new favorite dessert for it's flavor and the complete ease of putting it together, Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down cake. While this may not be the most impressive looking dessert, the flavors are great and in season right now, the cake is beyond moist and it is a cake that doesn't need frosting!
So there you have it 10 of my favorite holiday BBQ dishes. I'll definitely by making the Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down cake, since it's a winner every time. I'm also going to make my delicious mac & cheese since the boy is doing BBQ Chicken & Ribs. And since we'll be up at the cottage for the weekend I'm also making my Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast Strata for Sunday morning. I am in the midst of attempting to make homemade marshmallows and graham crackers for gourmet s'mores, stay tuned for a post about them next week (assuming the marshmallows and grahams come together alright)!
Hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday weekend!