Monday, April 27, 2009

Grilled Cheese Goodness #4


Well here it is folks, my last grilled cheese of the month, this one is much like the Smoked Gouda and BBQ Chicken in that it was made from leftovers. Specifically leftover Rosemary Rubbed NY Strip with Chianti butter, stay tuned for the post to appear this week in my guest posting over at Domestic Divas. This is a super rich sammie that was inspired by the toasted roast beef subs we always had growing up. Mom with get nice pink roast beef and soft sub rolls, spread some mayo on the rolls, load up with roast beef and top with shredded mozzarella, stick it under the broiler to get the cheese all melty and devour it. I loved those sandwiches and when I has some delicious left over steak I had to try a new version of my old favorite.

Steak Grilled Cheese

Leftover steak (recipe to come for my rosemary rubbed steak)
Mozzarella cheese slices
Provolone cheese slices
Ciabatta loaf
Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo
Butter (I used Chianti butter, recipe to come with the rosemary steak)

1. Heat up panini grill according to directions, or place a fry pan over medium low heat. Slice ciabatta loaf to 1/2" thick slices. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
2. Layer sandwich in panini grill or on fry pan. Place one slice of bread butter side down, spread mayo (as much as you like), layer 1 slice of mozzarella and 1 slice of provolone (more if you want it extra cheesy), 1 layer of steak, 1 more slice of mozzarella and provolone, top with second slice of bread, butter side up.
3. Either close panini press and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until bread is toasty and cheese is melty. If using a fry pan cook on medium low until butter melts, carefully flip and repeat on other side. Cover fry pan and let sandwich slow cook until on side is golden brown and cheese begins to melt, flip cover and repeat on other side.
4. Let rest for a few minutes. Slice and enjoy.

I just received my panini press/indoor grill for Xmas, actually my brother did and realized he had no room in his shoebox of an apartment to keep it so I managed to score it. I was initially again hauling it out to use for one sandwich but it honestly makes, making a grilled cheese so much easier and faster I think it's all I'm going to use from now on. It can also apparently be used to grill meat and veggies, something I'll be trying out more next winter.

But I'm digressing, this sammie was delish and I think the perfect last post on this grilled cheese month. It would definitely work with any kind of steak, but I think there was a lot of added flavor with the rosemary rub and Chianti butter, make sure to stay tuned for the recipe on Domestic Divas. Enjoy!

3 comments:

NKP said...

Oh yum! I love provolone, and that chianti butter sounds divine.

Jeff said...

Nice use of the panini press. Mine is stuck in a back bedroom in my overflow closet just staring at me with an angry look.

I keep forgetting this is grilled cheese month. Thankfully I still have a couple days to participate because I just picked up some awesome cheese from the Amish last weekend.

Nicely done and great use of leftovers.

Jen H said...

Natashya - I'm really getting into compound butters and am going to try a citrus one with some salmon soon. Stay tuned for my post next week on Domestic Divas with the recipe!

Jeff - I had to specifically make an easy access place under my oven for the panini press. It has made all the difference and is becoming my preferred method for grilled cheese.