Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Slow Cooker Pot Roast


So I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but it's winter and winter is COLD in Toronto. Very cold. It makes me crave comfort food all the time. This past Saturday the boy and I took the day to do very little but sleep in, hang out, and watch movies. We haven't done that since I moved here and were long overdue. I wanted to make us a great dinner that wouldn't require much effort. My brother had mentioned an amazing Pot Roast that my mom made last week, so I called Mom to find out what she did. I took the basic ingredients she used and turning it into my own dish using my slow cooker. Check it out:

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

1 3 lb top sirloin roast
1 cup red wine
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
5 springs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves smashed
1 small onion quartered
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
Salt & Pepper

1. Heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over roast. Brown each side of the roast, this should take approx 10 mins to get every side caramelized and browned. Put the roast in the slow cooker liner.
2. Deglaze the pot with the cup of red wine, cooking off the alcohol and getting all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the can of tomatoes and tomato paste to the red wine. Do not cook, just stir to combine. Pour over roast.
3. Add Thyme, bay leaves, onions and garlic to slow cooker and set on low for 5 hours.
4. When cook time is finished, remove roast to a cutting board, strain garlic, onion, thyme and bay leaves from the sauce left in liner. In a sauce pan melt tbsp of butter with tbsp of flour over medium heat until golden brown. Slowly stream in sauce left in the slow cooker, to thicken and make a gravy. Ad salt & pepper to taste.
5. Slice meat against the grain and serve with gravy.

This was the perfect thing for dinner on a cold winter night. It was flavorful and belly warming and oh-so-easy. I had gone to the store looking for a chuck roast but all they had was sirloin, I think this dish would be great with a chuck roast or just about any roast that benefits from a long slow braise. Next time I may chop up some carrots to add to the sauce for a touch more sweetness and richness.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the tasty side dish we had with this. Enjoy!

No comments: