Saturday, December 6, 2008

Egg Sandwich



Breakfast it my favorite meal of the day and the boy makes the BEST breakfast ever. While we were living 3,000 miles apart I was only able to have his tasty breakfast treats once in awhile, so I would make my version of his egg sandwich. I was craving one this morning and since he had to work today (even though it's Saturday, crazy film business) I made it myself. Here you go:

Egg Sandwich

2 slices of bread (I prefer multi grain, but we only had light rye)
Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese (singles if you have them or slices from a block)
1/2 Roma tomato - sliced
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp butter
2 large eggs
2 strips bacon (I didn't have this today but it's the preferred way to have it)

1. Heat skillet to medium heat. Lay bacon strips in and fry until crispy. Remove to paper-towel lined plate to drain.
2. Put bread in toaster and toast to a night golden brown.
3. As the toast is toasting, keeping just a bit of bacon fat reserved in the skillet heat it over medium low heat. Place eggs in skillet, sprinkle with salt & pepper and cover skillet. Letting eggs cook on low, covered for a few minutes until to desired doneness, I recommend medium.
4. Take finished toast out of toaster, spread mayonnaise on one slice and butter on the other.
5. Assemble sandwich with eggs on buttered toast, top with bacon, tomatoes, cheese and the slice of toast with mayonnaise. Cut in half and enjoy.

The first time the boy made this for me, I said no mayo, but he promised I would like it and I do. It totally adds something extra to the sandwich and you should try it too. I made mine this morning without bacon, but if you have it and want to splurge, go for it. I also used Hellman's Olive Oil mayonnaise, which is my new favorite and just a bit healthier than regular mayo. Enjoy!

No comments: