Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Peach-Blueberry Pie



I am back onto pies! I made my Apple-Blueberry pie for the boy's birthday which started as a bit of a disaster, but I pulled it out and the boy devoured it himself in less than a week. During all of my pie trials, the sis made it clear that she would like a Peach-Blueberry pie. I happened to have a recipe from my co-worker's mom that I used as a starting point for a failure of a Peach-Raspberry Pie. It was after that experiment that I realized I am not a good enough baker to improvise yet. So I am forced to follow recipes, but as the recipe came highly recommended I figured it was a goo one to try. With the exception of adding more fruit because I made a deep dish pie, I followed the recipe pretty closely.

Peach and Blueberry Pie
courtesy of Mrs. Neimand

2 Tbsps lemon juice
2 cups sliced, pitted peaches (2 1/4 lbs) (I used 4 cups peaches)
1 cup blueberries (I actually didn't measure mine but used two small grocery store containers)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsps quick-cooking tapioca
(I used 2 1/2 since I had extra fruit, thus extra juice to thicken)
1/2 tsp salt
Pastry for a 2-crust pie
2 Tbsps butter or margarine

1. Sprinkle lemon juice over fruit in large bowl.
2. Combine sugar with tapioca and salt. Add to fruit, tossing lightly to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll out half of pastry into an 11-inch circle. Use to line 9 inch pie plate; trim.
5. Turn fruit mixture into pastry-lined pie plate, mounding in the center; dot with butter.
6. Roll out remaining pastry into an 11-inch circle. Make several slits near center, for steam vents; adjust over filling; trim.
7. Fold edge of top crust under bottom crust; press together with fingertips. Crimp edge decoratively.
8. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until fruit is tender and crust is golden-brown.
9. Cool partially on a wire rack; serve slightly warm.

This is a very tasty pie and the sis totally approved.

No comments: