Monday, August 25, 2008

Crustless Quiche



Based on the frequency of breakfast & brunch postings, it's clear that I am a fan of the weekend brunch. This past weekend I had some girlfriends over and we did a pot luck brunch and watched The Notebook, becasue (gasp!) two of my friends hadn't seen it. It was my ideal Sunday morning/afternoon, good food, good friends and a movie. I found a recipe on Simply Recipes for Cheesy Crustless Quiche and while I have finally made good pie crust, I am always on the lookout for low-carb versions of my favorite dishes. I really loved this dish, and will be making it again for sure. I subbed extra sharp cheddar for the swiss, because I still had a ton of it left over from my Mac & Cheese recipe contest experiments and I forgot to pick up green onions when I was at the store, so I improvised with Italian Seasoning. Recipe below, with my edits in purple:

Cheesy Crustless Quiche Recipe
from Simply Recipes
serve 8

1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
5 eggs
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar)
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions (I used Italian Seasoning)
3 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I used grape tomatoes)

1 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring until bubbly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes.
2 Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cottage cheese, baking powder, salt and mustard; set aside.
3 Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add the cream cheese, the cottage cheese mixture and the milk/flour sauce. Fold in the Swiss (Cheddar) and Parmesan cheeses.
4 Pour into a buttered 10" pie plate. Sprinkle the top with chopped green onions (Italian Seasoning) and crumbled bacon. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, around the top. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned. A knife inserted into the center of the quiche should come out clean. Let rest for 15 minutes, serve.

I am looking forward to trying this recipe again with other cheeses and other fillings, although my tasters really loved the bacon and tomatos in this one. I think I may try one with some goat cheese and red peppers or maybe ham & gruyere. The possibilities are endless!

The other girls brought Mimosas, tasty cut up nectarines and plantains.

No comments: