Monday, August 18, 2008

Apple Blueberry Pie



Since last weekend I perfected pie crust, I'm am on a pie kick. Add to that, the boyfriend is a big pie fan and having him in town means I needed to try to make one for him. His favorites are Apple and Blueberry, but I of course needed to do something different and decided to combine the two fruits. I wanted to use a recipe for the filling as just throwing some berries together last week and using an apple pie recipe as a guideline just didn't work out so well. After a web search, I found that Emeril Lagasse had a recipe that looked straightforward and decided to go with it.



Apple Blueberry Pie
from emerils.com
Serves 8

3 cups sliced apples, one-fourth inch thick (I used 4 cups of Granny Smith Apples)
1 cup blueberries (I used 2 cups)
Three fourths cup sugar (I used 1 cup of sugar to counterbalance the tartness of the Granny Smith Apples and the fact that I used an additional cup)
3 tablespoons flour (I used 4 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
One-half teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 3/4 tsp)
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
Two 9-inch prepared pie dough (I used the same No Fail Pie Crust recipe posted on 8/11)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the apples, blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt and let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place one pie crust in the bottom of a deep-dish pie pan.
4. Pour the apple-blueberry mixture into the pie pan.
5. Dot the top with butter and cover with the other pie crust, sealing edges.
6. Cut steam holes in top, place on cookie sheet pan and place in oven and bake for 40 minutes. (I only baked at 425 for 20 minutes)
7. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes. (I baked at 350 for 40 mins but placed a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the pie to make sure the crust didn't burn) Fruit juices should be bubbling though the vent holes (This didn't happen for me). Stick the point of a knife through the hole and check to see if apples are tender.
8. Allow pie to cool for 4 hours before slicing.

This is the best pie I have ever made. The sweetness of the blueberries perfectly balanced the tartness of the apples. It initially seemed like an unusual combination to my brother, sister and boyfriend but they all gave it a thumbs up. Next up will be a my favorite, a peach pie, but then it's requested that I do a standard apple pie. I wonder if I should start a blog that is strictly about pies, kind like The Cupcake Project?

No comments: