Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rhubarb Sorbet



Summer is finally here in Southern Ontario, it's hot and steamy and our house is officially turning into a hot box.  I'm not sure what happened to spring, maybe it's because I was travelling for much of May and when I was home it was raining, make it just cool and damp and not very springy.  I missed our tulips blooming and who knows what else?  One of my favorite signs of late spring/early summer is rhubarb.  Since before I went away and as soon as I was back I have been keeping my eyes open for this lovely stalk to no avail.  I couldn't have missed it too could I?

There's no way.  It can't happen.  I need to make some jam and maybe a cake and I think I want to tackle sorbet this year too (these are all things I said to myself each time I thought about the prospect of missing rhubarb).

While we visited the Jean Talon Market in Montreal a few weeks ago, I saw the most gorgeous stalks of rhubarb.  So gorgeous that I contemplated buying some and lugging them on the train back to Toronto.  The Boy quickly nixed that idea and I took comfort in the fact that if they had it Montreal, surely I'd be able to find some in Toronto, right?


gorgeous rhubarb at the Jean Talon Market in Montreal
Cut to last week, after my twice weekly Zumba class I hit up Courage Foods a lovely locally supplied market with all kinds of lovely produce, including farm fresh eggs. I'm mildly obsessed and pop in just to ogle the fruits and veggies when even I'm down there.  Anyway, I was thrilled to see a small basket with just 5 stalks of lovely pink and firm rhubarb.  Needless to say I snatched them up and hurried home with ideas of what to do with it running through my head.   I though of jam and cake, but on this specific hot and steamy day it was sorbet that stood out.  I remember watching an episode of The Best Thing I Ever Ate and Melissa D'Arabian going on and on about the rhubarb sorbetto at on of her favorite spots.  Ever since then I've wanted to try my hand at a rhubarb sorbet and I finally had the perfect opportunity.




print recipe
Rhubarb Sorbet
a simple sorbet that really showcases the flavor of fresh spring rhubarb
Ingredients
  • 1 lb fresh rhubarb
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar - lightly packed
  • 3 Tbsps lemon juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 3 Tbsps Triple Sec or other orange flavor liquor
Instructions
1. Rinse the rhubarb and cut into 1" pieces (trimming off the ends and tops).  Heat sugar, lemon juice, water and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has all dissolved.2. Add in the rhubarb pieces and continue to cook over medium heat until the rhubarb becomes tender and starts to break down, about 10 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes.3. Process the rhubarb mixture and Triple Sec in batches in your food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to a dish to cool in the fridge for 6-8 hours or until completely cool.4. Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Details
Total time: Yield: approx 1 quart

I wanted to drink this puree.  Just straight, even warm.  It was that good.  As it cooled in the fridge, I'd be lying if I said I didn't sneak in there and take a spoonful here and there. It's as good frozen. It's this wonderful balance of sweet and tart and just packed with rhubarb flavor.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when there is no more rhubarb to buy. Which may even be already!  I'm praying for some at my local farmer's market on Friday or maybe Courage Foods will even have some more tomorrow when I'm down there.  Even if I don't make it right away I think I need to freeze some rhubarb so I can get my fix in the fall and winter.  Oh and I still need to make some jam!  What's a girl to do?


Enjoy!

No comments: