Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bake for your those you love


This past weekend a fellow food blogger, Jennifer Perillo, lost her husband so suddenly she didn't even have a chance to say good-bye.  I have never met Jennifer, though I feel like I know her from reading her wonderful posts, but this news has rocked me to my core.  Maybe it's because the Boy and I just celebrated our first anniversary and I just can't fathom going through what she is right now.

It's the kind of news that makes you reconsider your relationships and those you care about.  It made me reach out to my family and tell them that I love them.  It reinstilled the idea that you need to live each day to the fullest, because who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Yesterday Jennifer wrote a beautiful post about her husband and their last date.  In it she wrote about his favorite Peanut Butter Pie:
I kept telling myself I would make it for him tomorrow. Time has suddenly stood still, though, and I'm waiting to wake up and learn to live a new kind of normal. For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there's no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on.
I will be making this pie (it's included in the post) tomorrow for Jennifer and her family, but also for the Boy and I to share.  If you have the time I ask that you do too.  You don't even need to turn on the oven to make it, or need any fancy tools (where she calls for a food processor a ziploc bag and hammer will work just fine).  It's actually a simple thing to show someone you care.

If you make the pie take a picture of it, of you and your family sharing it or write a blog post about it and share it with the folks over at Food52.  They are collecting it all to post as a tribute for Jennifer, her family and the whole community to see.

If you are in the Toronto area we are gathering together a care package of goods to be sent to Jennifer and her family to help get them through this impossible time.  Leave a comment on this post if you are interested in contributing, send me an email at piccantedolce [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll share the details of drop-offs etc.

Most importantly give your loved ones a hug or tell them you love them.

No comments: