Sunday, June 19, 2011

Gardening & Preserving Week 2


look at my little tomato flowers!
I think I am becoming a little gardener.

Not a real one or an expert by any stretch.

But look at these plants!?  Can you believe it?

the beans will have flowers by next week!
OK, so to those of you who have always grown vegetables and have a green thumb, this may not be that impressive.  Especially since I did buy these beauties as seedlings and didn't start them from seeds.


I've never grown eggplant before, but this plant looks pretty great!
But I'm proud of them.  I mean can you believe that the three or four little tomato flowers I had last week have turned into the about 20 I have right now?  You may not be impressed, but I sure am.  How about the fact that I have two bean plants that are growing by leaps and bounds.  Or the fact the my 5 pepper plants are going to explode real soon with tons of hot peppers to use in salsas, tomato sauce, and to make hot pepper oil with, something the Boy is very excited about.

And these romano beans at taking off!
Yes, this is a food blog and while the garden is impressive, by my own estimation.  I should probably get to the food and recipe part of this post.  Specifically what I preserved this week.

radish pickles
Our local Farmer's Market is finally up and running and I picked up some gorgeous radishes and rhubarb.  I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of radishes, but the Boy is and even though I don't love the way they taste I'm a tiny bit in love with their bright red roots and green leaves.  I grabbed a few bunches and turned to my new favorite canning & preserving book and made radish pickles.  I love the red color of the jar and can't wait to give them a try.

rhubarb  honey compote
With the rhubarb I decided to make a rhubarb compote using some blueberry honey we picked up in Montreal at the Jean Talon Market.  It was super simple and so damn delicious when paired with some goat cheese on a nice piece of crusty baguette.



print recipe
Rhubarb Honey Compote
Ingredients
  • 1 lb sliced rhubarb
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsps honey - blueberry or clover
  • pinch vietnamese cinnamon
Instructions
1. Prepare a hot water bath for canning. Place the jars in the canner and the flat lids in a heat proof bowl.2. Add all of the ingredients to a 4 quart pot and cook over medium heat until if comes to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes or until begins to thicken slightly. 3. Ladle some of the hot water from the canner into the bowl with the lids. Remove the jars from the canner and place on a folded towel.4. Carefully fill the jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe the top of the lids with a damp paper towel and place the flat lids on and turn the screw rings. 5. Using jar lifters, carefully place the jars int he hot water canner and boil for 5 minutes. Remove to a folded towel and let sit for at least 12 hours, making sure to check that the lids have sealed within an hour.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: two 250ml or four 125ml jars

What did you get to preserving this week?  Have you made strawberry jam yet?  I'm hoping to pick some berries this coming week and get to my jam making.

Enjoy!

No comments: