Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Boozy Shamrock Shake!



With St. Patrick's Day fast approaching all this red-blooded American (transplanted to Canada) girl can think about is something, as a foodie, she is just a bit embarrassed to admit.  I bet you can't even guess.  It's too mortifying.  Alright, alright I'll tell you.  The Shamrock Shake.  Yes from McDonald's no less.  Since I'm being honest about my guilty pleasures here I might as well tell you that I have a minor obsession with the quarter pounder with cheese too.  A Shamrock Shake paired with a  quarter pounder, well that sounds like just a little bit of heaven to me.   If you're going to judge, I suggest you stop reading now.  Because though I know this type of food is so not good for you and haven't had any of it yet in 2011, I will never deny my love of the taste of it.

Moving on, since St. Paddy's day is very often associated with a grown-up beverage or 2 or even 10 depending on the person, I figured why not do a twist on this minty green shake to make it a bit more...ahem...grown-up friendly, aka boozy.  Yes you could get one at your local McD's add some booze, but this is a bit more fun and could make a fun pre or post treat for your festivities tomorrow. Or it's a great way to end a night of drinking beer and eating corned beef and cabbage at home, if you don't feel like braving the insane bar crowds.  Either way, I say go for it.



Boozy Shamrock Shake
makes 3 7oz mini-shake shots

2 1/2 cups All-Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
3/4 cup milk - whole is probably best but I used 1%
3 Tbsps green Creme de Menthe
2 Tbsps vodka
1/2 Tbsp clear Creme de Cocoa or more to taste (you can used dark but you'll get a more muddy color)1
green food coloring (optional)
Whipped cream & green sprinkles if you're feeling extra festive

1. Blend ice cream and milk in the blender.  Blend to combine.  Add in the creme de menthe, vodka, creme de cocoa and a bit of green food coloring. Whir in the blender to combine.  Serve in small glasses garnished with whipped cream and green sprinkles.

I have cute little wine tumblers that were the perfect size for these boozy little little drinks.  I went for something a bit strong since they are in honor of St. Paddy's Day and as a Boston girl we take this holiday very seriously, so I went for it.  You can easily cut out the vodka if you want something a bit more tame.  I originally didn't make it with the creme de cocoa, but found just an added splash really made it perfect and much more closely lived up to my memory of the Shamrock Shake. Most recipes you'll find for the Shamrock Shake don't include any chocolate flavor but if I remember correctly there was a bit.  It's my version, so I went with my memory, do what works for you.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Enjoy!

No comments: