Saturday, November 21, 2009

Roasted Sweet Potato and Banana Mash


This dish came about as a result of my desire to do a potato side that was different from standard mashed potatoes, and while I LOVE candied yams they are not the most healthy option. Since I am ramping up on the whole getting into shape thing for my wedding next year, I am always looking for satisfying dishes that are a bit healthier. Sweet potatoes are generally better for you than plain old white, if you don't douse them in tons of sugar and syrups. I decided to roast up some sweet potatoes and banana, mix it all with maple syrup and voila, a healthier answer to candied yams and mashed potatoes and gravy.


Roasted Sweet Potato and Banana Mash

4 large sweet potatoes
2 bananas
1/4 maple syrup
1/4 tsp nutmeg
sea salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Using a fork poke holes all over the sweet potatoes, place on a cookie sheet in the preheat oven and roast for approximately an hour or until soft all the way through. Place the bananas, with peels on into the oven for the last 20 minutes of the roasting time.
2. Once the potatoes and bananas are roasted remove from oven and let cool until they are easy to handle. Cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh into a large bowl. Carefully peel bananas and add to bowl.
3. Mash potatoes and bananas using a potato masher. Add in maple syrup, nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste, stir to combine. Serve.

This was so very easy to make and packed a huge amount of flavor from roasting the fruit and vegetable. The maple syrup added just enough sweetness to echo traditional candied yams without being too cloying. Try these ones on your family this year and let me know how they go over.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yum. I love adding a little sweetness in my potatoes, I've done apples with russet potatoes so this sounds delicious as well.