Monday, July 13, 2009

Cinnamon Sugar Banana Muffins



A few weeks ago when we were at the cottage I found a ton of bananas in the freezer just waiting to be made into something tasty. I actually think I great many of them we some we had brought up there weeks before, so even though the boy parents weren't around I didn't feel bad using them up. On this specific weekend we had a ton to do around the house, to help prepare for the arrival of the boy's new little niece or nephew, which we now know is a nephew, the adorable Jack William! Anyway on this Friday night prior to little Jack's arrival, I took 3 bananas out of the freezer with the plan to make something tasty and easy for breakfast the next morning.

We awoke the next morning to a phone call announcing the arrival of Jack and since I was awake I decided to go put the thawed bananas to good use. Now what to make. I've posted a couple banana bread recipes on here, both very delicious but I decided to make muffins this time. Even easier to just grab and go when there is alot to do, it just seemed like the perfect answer. I decided to tweak this delicious banana bread recipe for my muffins.


Cinnamon Sugar Banana Muffins
makes 1 dozen

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water

For topping
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar

1. Preheat the over to 350 degrees F. Butter each well in a muffin tin, or line with muffin papers.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder & salt. In a large bowl whisk together banana, eggs, oil, honey & water. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir well. Fill each well 1/2 full.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle them evenly over the batter.
4. Bake the muffins until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 mins, give or take a little (This truly depends on how hot your over runs). Cool the muffins in a on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then carefully remove the muffins from the pan, taking care not to dislodge the topping. Serve warm topped with butter.

I just love the way the cinnamon pairs with the banana here. Also the addition of whole wheat flour gives it a really hearty taste and makes it feel a bit more healthy. It worked out perfectly as something easy to grab as everyone was getting stuff done around the house. I have a feeling I'll be making this one again and again. Enjoy!

2 comments:

NKP said...

Looks great, I love that it's whole wheat.

stephchows said...

mmmm cinnamon and sugar with banana! love it!