Sunday, March 1, 2009

Slow Cooker Pork Roast



My obsession with my slow cooker is not anything new to any of my regular readers. I love how slow food tastes, how flavorful it is and I also love the ease of starting something in the morning and being able to come home to a finished meal at the end of a long day of work. Since the boy has been back to work over the past few weeks we've utilized the slow cooker more and more. Of the most successful recipes is a pork roast I made last week.

Garlic & Herb Pork Roast

1 3-4 lb boneless Pork Shoulder Roast
2 tsp crushed fennel seed - I used my mortar and pestle to crush the seeds
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground sage
3 cloves garlic - finely minced
3 Tbsp dijon mustard
3/4 cup white wine
salt & pepper

1. Trim pork roast of any excess fat. Liberally salt & pepper the entire roast.
2. In a small bowl combine fennel, mustard powder, thyme, sage, garlic and dijon. Rub the mustard paste all over the roast. Place it in the slow cooker.
3. Pour white wine over roast. Set slow cooker to cook on low for 8-10 hours.



The garlic and herbs coupled with the slow cooking really infused the roast with tons of flavor. Since we both worked late the day I made this, I ended up just putting the pork on sandwiches. I used tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and pesto mayonnaise (just some jarred pesto mixed with mayo) on a thin wheat bun and threw it under the broiler to melt the cheese. It was really tasty. A 3 lb roast always leaves us with leftovers, which is always good. The boy cut up some of the leftovers and heated them in a skillet with some chopped onions which went really well with the sweet potato gnocchi and some steamed broccoli. Then for breakfast I cubed up the rest of the leftovers and sauteed it with some black beans for a yummy black bean and pork hash that went really well with eggs. Enjoy!

No comments: