Sunday, April 5, 2009

Baked Eggs



Since we've both been working alot lately, there hasn't been much time for grocery shopping. Even when I do get to shop I don't plan out meals and generally just get basics. I cook when I can, which is usually the weekends and lately I've had to get creative with what I find in the house. That's how this dish came about. Canned tomatoes are always in my pantry, whether its to make a marinara or for soup or for anything I else I can think of, I always have them on hand. Eggs are another staple. The baguette was something that was stale and just about ready for the green bin but I decided to re-use much in the way Italian Peasants would in Pappa al Pomodoro, something I hope to make soon. What came about was a hearty breakfast or brunch dish that was full of flavor and so simple to make.


Baked Eggs

1 large can of diced tomatoes
1/2 day old baguette - cut into a 1" dice
1 small onion - roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic - minced
2 tsp Herbs de Provence
5 Eggs
5 thin slices of Oka Cheese - or whatever cheese you have on hand
salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and saute until onions become translucent, making sure not to brown the garlic. Add in the Herbs de Provence and saute for another few minutes, again being mindful not to brown the garlic.
2. Pour the tomatoes into the saucepan, add salt & pepper and simmer for 5 minutes, until the flavors begin to combine. Taste and add more salt & pepper as necessary.
3. Lightly oil a baking dish or pie plate (I used my Emile Henry Pie Plate because it was the only thing I had that was the right size) and spread the bread cube in a single layer. Pour the tomato mixture into the pie plate and break the eggs on top, keeping the yolks in tact.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the eggs whites become opaque. Remove dish from the oven and strategically place the slices of cheese over the eggs. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese become melty and bubbly. Serve.


This was delicious! What started out as something I was just throwing together with some things I had in the house, became a new breakfast fave. The eggs ended up cooked over medium, which isn't normally the way I like them, but it worked perfectly here. Monitor the eggs as you bake, to get them cooked to your liking, but as I baked them worked very well. Next time you have some leftover stale bread or friends friends over for brunch, make this dish.

I used Oka cheese because we had it int he fridge, although I've become such a fan that I think it's something we'll always have from now on. But any semi-soft cheese would be nice. Crumbled goat or feta would taste very nice as well. Play around with it. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jennifer Brody said...

I've always wanted to try something like this! Great idea!

Tangled Noodle said...

What an excellent and creative dish! Yay for leftover stale bread and canned tomatoes! 8-)

Simones Kitchen said...

That's a great use for some product left overs!