Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sweet Potato & Turkey Sausage Hash



This is a dish that my sister makes. It's something she saw Rachel Ray make on 30-minutes meals and just kind of threw it together based on that, not following any specific recipe. Since we were allowed starchy foods this week I decided to feed my craving for this tasty breakfast for dinner. When I emailed my sis asking for the recipe, she said there wasn't one and just listed off the ingredients she uses. Here is my version, I think it was pretty good although nothing ever tastes as good as when someone else makes it for you!

Sweet Potato & Turkey Hash
serves 2

2-3 turkey sausage - meat removed from the casing
1 sweet potato - sliced in discs and each disc cut in half
1/2 red onion diced
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 handful of fresh cilantro - roughly chopped
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2% milk cheddar)
4 eggs - I prefer Eggland's Best - sadly my stash of eggs I brought back from the states is almost gone!
mango salsa (recipe below) - optional

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage to skillet and saute until browned.
2. Add sweet potato, onion, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Lower heat to medium low and cover cooking until the potatoes are cooked all the way thorough, turning occasionally.
3. When the potatoes and sausage have cooked through, stir in the chopped cilantro and dump the whole mixture onto a large plate of platter. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and cover loosely with aluminum foil, to melt cheese and keep the has warm while you cook your eggs.
4. Cook eggs as desired, I like mine over easy my sis always had hers scrambled.
5. Serve 1/2 of the hash topped with 2 eggs and mango salsa (or any other salsa of your choosing)

Mango Salsa

1/2 fresh mango - diced
1 slice large red onion - diced
1 garlic clove - minced
small handful fresh cilantro - roughly chopped
1/4-1/2 jalapeno - finely diced
juice of one lemon or lime (I only had lemons on hand so that's what I used)
salt & pepper to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently toss to combine. Let sit for at least 30 mins for the flavors to meld.


This dish is technically South Beach friendly, although your should probably have a side salad or a side of green veggies along with it. The sis always topped it with the fresh mango salsa you can buy at the grocery store in LA, we really liked Santa Barbara Mango & Peach salsa. That's not available in my grocery store in Toronto and since mangoes were on sale last week I just made my own. I threw it together as the hash was cooking and was very pleased with the results. I'll use lime juice next time, but the lemon was quite good in a pinch. While you can also use a fresh tomato salsa as a topper, the sweetness of the mango really compliments the spice in the hash and I recommend using it if it's available at the store or you want to make your own.

This meal is perfect for anything from breakfast to brunch to dinner. It's great on a cold day as it's really hearty and a twist on my favorite corned beef hash (quite a bit healthier too). The boy liked it, which is always the big test when I make things that are outside his comfort zone, and I hope you will too. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

Okay - this post hit all the right buttons: sausages, sweet potatoes and mangoes! The photos are so appetizing, especially the close-up of the egg and salsa. Thanks for putting it down in a recipe!

Jen H said...

Tangled Noodle - No problem! It's definitely one of my faves!