Friday, August 29, 2008

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches



Last night I hosted my monthly book club. We always do a pot luck with whoever is hosting making the main dish. I love having the girls over, but hate to rush home and cook something, so I was determined to use my slow cooker to make things easier. I wanted to do something with chicken and something that was relatively simple, but flavorful. I came across this recipe from Eating Well for BBQ Pulled Chicken. I love pulled pork, but know not everyone eats pork, so doing a version with chicken is a great and healthy alternative. This dish was one of the easiest things I've ever made. I threw all the ingredients into the slow cooker before I went to work, set it on low and when I came home the house smelled of BBQ and dinner was almost ready! The only changes I made was using a combination of thigh and breast meat and I have a whole jar of molasses from my grilled peaches so I decided to use that in place of honey.
from Eating Well
serves 8

1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey (I subbed molasses for the honey)
1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat (I used 1.75 lbs of thigh and .75 lbs of breast)
1 small onion, finely chopped1 clove garlic, minced

1. Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
2. Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.

The chicken was great on a Whole Wheat Honey bun with a bit of red onion. The ground chipotle added some nice mellow heat to the dish, but as I like spice in these kinds of things I think I'll add a bit more next time.

Everyone really seemed to enjoy this and it went well with the treats everyone brought. We had a bevy of tasty picnic-type sides: Mac & Cheese (Trader Joe's frozen mac is surprisingly quite tasty!), Garlic Fries, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Mixed green salad with heirloom tomatoes & red onion and it was all finished off with tasty cupcakes from Crumbs. So we had a tasty feast, talked about the book quite a bit and the entire group recommends it, which doesn't always happen. If you are looking for a quick and fun read (and haven't read it already) check out Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

No comments: