Sunday, January 22, 2012

Raspberry Blueberry Pie



Over the past week we've had a decent amount of snow.

At least compared the complete lack of snow we've had so far this year.  It has actually felt like winter. Which is kinda nuts considering we're more than halfway through January!

Because of the winter-like weather I've been all over comfort food, including an insane Bolognese that I made last night.  We had our good friends the Shacks over for dinner, so I had to make a dessert too.

OK, well I didn't have to, I could have asked them to bring dessert, but to be honest I was looking for an excuse to bake and it's much easier to justify if we're having company.




Lucky for me I have a freezer full of frozen Ontario fruit, from my preserving craziness this past summer. It then occurred to me that on a cold wintery day, what could be nicer that a summery fruit pie?  Such a contrast to the rich and hearty dinner we were having, that I had to do it.

Raspberries are my absolute favorite, but I also had a ton of wild blueberries and though they'd go perfectly together.  So that's what I set out to do.

And boy is this pie delicious?!  So delicious in fact that the Shack's son had TWO pieces!  You must note that it is quite tart because of the number of raspberries, if you prefer a sweeter pie I'd add the full amount of sugar in the recipe.

If you're looking for something summery to break you're winter blues I'd say this pie is the way to go.



print recipe

Raspberry Blueberry Pie
A fresh and summery pie that is the perfect antidote to winter when you can get your hands on some nice frozen berries.
Ingredients
  • 1 double all-butter crust
  • 5 cups raspberries
  • 3 cups wild blueberries
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp creme de cassis
  • 5 Tbsps cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsps cream
  • 1-2 Tbsps turbinado sugar
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl gently toss the berries with the sugar, cinnamon, cassis and cornstarch. Let sit while you roll out the crust.2. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the crust and gently lay into pie plate. Carefully transfer the berries into the crust. Dot with butter.3. Carefully roll out the top crust and transfer to the top of the pie. Trim the excess crust so there is no more than an inch. Roll the excess up and pinch it together. 4. Cut vents in the top crust. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Place the pie on a cookie sheet and into the heated oven for 80 minutes. 5. When the crust is golden and the pie juices are bubbling, remove the pie from the oven. Place the pie plate on a cooling rack to cool for at least 2 hours, longer is better though.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 pie

No comments: