Monday, July 27, 2009

T&C: Buffalo Chicken Pizza



For this month's Taste & Create I was paired up with Rachelle at Mommy, I'm Hungry. Not only is she my T&C partner, but she also adopted my bloggie friend Tania over at Love Big Bake Often. Please check out both of their blogs for delicious treats.

Moving on to the food...last weekend my best friend and college roommate flew up to Toronto from Boston for a weekend filled with baseball, beer and bonding. We have a full weekend with a fab dinner on Friday night, baseball game and bar crawl on Saturday and a baby shower on Sunday. Knowing we'd be wiped by Sunday night I had planned ahead to cook dinner on Sunday night so we could relax on the patio with some wine. I found just the perfect thing to make on Rachelle's blog in her Buffalo Chicken Pizza. We lived on Archie Moore's Buffalo wings in college and since the boy was going to eating with us too, he's a fan of all things Buffalo Chicken. For all the things I've made from scratch I couldn't believe I had never made my own pizza dough and this would give me the perfect opportunity to try. I decided to do grilled pizzas, lucky for me Rachelle had a delicious sounding Buffalo Style Chicken Pizza recipe on her blog. I tweaked the crust to make it whole wheat and even though I'm one for using my own tomato sauce for everything, I decided to try her Pizza Sauce as is.


Grilled Buffalo Chicken Pizza
adapted from Mommy, I'm Hungry

3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - shredded
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (2 ounce) bottle hot sauce (I used 3 TBL)3/4 cup blue cheese dressing
1/2 cup pizza sauce (see recipe below)
1 prepared pizza crust (see recipe below)
6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
6 oz shredded smoked cheddar cheese

1. Preheat grill to medium low. In a medium bowl combine the shredded chicken, melted butter and hot sauce. Mix well. Mix together pizza sauce and blue cheese dressing.
2. Oil heated grill and place one of the pizza dough rounds on it. Let grill until light grill marks begin to appear and the bottom side is cooked, approx 5-10 minutes.
3. Flip crust and top with Blue cheese pizza sauce mixture. Shredded chicken & hot sauce and equal amounts of the cheeses. Let cook until bottom is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
4. Remove to a cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
5. Repeat with other dough round and the rest of the ingredients.

Pizza Dough
adapted from Mommy, I'm Hungry

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose + 1/2 cup more for kneading
1 1/4 cup organic Red Fife whole wheat +1/2 cup more for kneading

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 1 1/4 cup all purpose and 1 1/4 cup Red Fife.
Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour.
Divide dough in 2 even pieces. Punch down the dough, and form each into a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.

Pizza Sauce
adapted from Mommy, I'm Hungry

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt to taste

1. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, water, Parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, onion powder, oregano, marjoram, basil, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and salt.
2. Mix together, breaking up any clumps of cheese.
3. Sauce should sit for 30 minutes to blend flavors; spread over pizza dough and prepare pizza as desired.


This was a perfect summer night dinner, especially on a hot summer night since very little was cooked inside, keeping my little hot box of a kitchen cool. I roasted my chicken breasts before shredding, but you could easily use leftover chicken or grille it. The pizza sauce needs no cooking and is delicious! Aside from all the ease in putting this together, it was so very tasty and enjoyed by the boy and the college roomie, both very tough critics when it comes to all things Buffalo Style. Thanks Rachelle for such a tasty recipe! Don't forget to check out the other Taste & Create entries here. Enjoy!

No comments: