Monday, April 25, 2011

Meatless Monday: Three Bean Salad



This is by far one of the top Meatless Monday recipes I've come up with for awhile, if not since I started taking part last fall.  The Boy wasn't a fan, mainly because he just doesn't love beans, but I figure you can't win them all.  Plus it meant there was plenty left over for lunches and snacks all week.   It's beyond easy to throw together and works well with all kinds of spring and summer meals. It's even completely picnic friendly since it's best at room temperature with no dairy AND vegan, something I don't often pull off with out specifically aiming for it.

I came up with this salad to go with some chicken tacos I made with leftover roast chicken. I always prefer the beans part of the rice and beans that are often served with most Mexican meals so a salad made with just beans sounded good to me.  On this night, since I made the tortillas, pickled onions, guacamole and cilantro sour cream for the tacos a simple no-cook side was just what I wanted.  A few years ago when I was still living in LA, my sister and hosted a BBQ for our kickball team.  One of our teammates brought a salad similar to this, so that's what I decided to emulate.  I remembered the beans she used, but not much else.  Since I was making tacos I went with the  Mexican flavors of cilantro, chipotle and lime.


Three Bean Salad
serves 6 as a side dish
printable recipe

1 cup canned black eyed peas - drained & rinsed
1 cup frozen, shelled edamame - defrosted
1 cup canned black beans - drained & rinsed
handful of fresh cilantro - roughly chopped
2 chipotle peppers - seeded and minced
1 small red onion - minced
juice & zest of 1-2 limes
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & black pepper

1.  Place the beans in a large bowl and gently toss with the cilantro, chipotle and onion.
2.  Squeeze the lime or lemon juice into a small bowl.  Whisk approx 1/4 to 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil into the citrus juice.  Add salt & pepper to taste and more oil if necessary.
3.  Pour the dressing over the beans and toss to combine.  Let sit for a few hours to let the flavor meld.


I did feel a bit bad about forgetting that the boy doesn't generally eat these kinds of beans, but since I made a green salad too, it all worked out.  I forsee this being a staple this summer whenever we BBQ or have people over.

Do you have a go to salad for BBQ season?

Enjoy!

No comments: